[RC] Electrolytes - Bruce Weary DC

The bad thing about having lengthy experience at any endeavor is that the longer you're at it, the more you forget about what you ever learned. We've all heard the phrase " He's forgotten more about XYZ than you'll ever know." After 22 years in this sport, I have forgotten so much that in a few more years, I won't know squat, and I'll have to start all over again!
Be that as it may, here are a few things my feeble mind recalls from over the years:
1) The horse carries 150-200 pounds of ingesta inside him at any given time. Even if the bulk of his feed is only 1% electolyte salts, he has a reservoir of a few pounds he can and does draw on during exercise. This isn't counting the electrolyes circulating in his bloodstream.
2) The fitter the horse gets, the fewer electrolytes he loses over the same given energy expenditure. He becomes more efficient.
3) Until we know if electolytes can potentially cause ulcers or stomach irritation, prudence at least dictates that doses be given only after the horse has drank, and perhaps in small enough amounts that not only help lightly replenish his losses, but to give the horse "potato chip mouth" and keep him interested in drinking. A dose of electrolytes in a belly full of water has to be much less irritating than salt on a cold sore.
4) Proper conditioning is probably the most challenging aspect of developing an endurance horse. Until I started religiously keeping a calendar, I had no idea how many days were passing between workouts, due to other life responsibilities. I think it's easy to get amnesia about how often our horses have been worked. I mention this because I feel that a very well conditioned horse will have a much greater "buffer zone" in regard to his use, loss and need for replenishment of his electrolytes. To me, this means he will be much less likely to get into trouble if ridden within his ability/conditioning/trail conditions, and will more easily respond to small supplements of electrolytes and feed to rejuvenate him. More is not better in a horse that is not contending well with his level of exertion, for whatever reason.
5) I seem to recall some studies that indicate that the bulk of electrolyte and fluid losses occur in the first 25 miles or so. Maybe this means a well conditioned LD horse has less need for elyte supplementation than horses going longer distances, all other things being equal. I could be wrong.
So, I guess my philosophy is this: Condition fully (and don't kid yourself), elyte in small doses only after drinking, add a little elyte to feed at vet checks (as long as they'll still eat it), feed snacks on the trail (carrots, handfuls of grain, etc.), and listen to your horse. If his energy level drops abnormally low, my first instinct is to get the vet involved, rather than reach into my mojo bag to decide what elixir might bring him back to life. Our vets are vastly underutilized, in my opinion, as far as sources of answers to our questions about how our horses are doing and what we can do to make the horse's day and career safer, more enjoyable, and more successful. Well, that's about all I can remember. Please feel free to email me privately. It's lonely here in prison. Dr Q, endurance riding amnesiac.