Re: [RC] for those who use electrolytes...help those newbies - Truman Prevatt

Jonni wrote:

OK, So, I have sort of a challenge for those who regularly use electrolytes, and feel they have a good understanding of "why" they do so. Can you explain to those very new to the sport, how electrolytes work in the horses body, and just what they do. Why do they make the horse drink? And, why do we not want to give electrolytes to a very dehydrated horse. What can happen? What can happen if a horse gets too much electrolytes? I would love to hear these answers in a very simplistic manner, than any newbie who lurks could understand.
So, who is game??? (you vets can sit this one out, you have that unfair advantage)
And for those of you who feel this subject gets beat to death, and want more "scientific" posts on this sport, this is your chance to shine. Please help these new folks out who are confused about electrolytes.
Jonni

Several years ago there was a series of articles in the SE horse report that did just that. This was our topic at the SERA convention this year and the material was presented very well as to what they do, how they interact, what happens in a unbalance, etc.

As far as "recommended" dose - the speaker would not give an "oz" per mile number because it is not that simple - it depends on a lot of factors. One of her main points, however, was to try to keep a steady level which translates in to smaller amounts more often rather than large doses not so often. This probably means carrying them on the trail and dosing on the trail. If I remember Stagg talked to the speaker about some sort of material for the AERC. I don't know what became of that.

The information is available - the AERC needs to figure out how to supply it.

Truman

--

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." - Bertrand Russell