Re: [RC] Low-tech riding - Jessica Spoone-Raines

I have an enduro-c that I love. That said I only condition with it on maybe 50% of the time. What I do is ride with it a few times so I can get a feel for his hr vs normal behavior, then I will stop bothering with it and just go on his behavior. If I up the speed or distance I will ride with it again for a closer look at how he is reacting then it goes back in the trailer. I am not dependant on it, if my horse is off I can tell by his attitude, gait, muscle reactions and whether or not he tries to "spook" me off during the ride. Nor do i stop the ride to adjust it if I'm not getting a good reading. I just ignore it and ride anyway. Theres always next time to get a reading.
Jess Spoone-Raines
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, March 23, 2006 10:08 AM
Subject: [RC] Low-tech riding

HRM are often discussed here on ridecamp but I'm wondering if there's anybody else not using them? I never have & don't wish to, I like to listen to my mule/horse the 'old fashioned' way. My only personal experiences with them is having to stop constantly during a ride when my riding buddy's HRM wasn't working right. I'm not looking for replies that say how good they are to have--I'm sure they are. Just wondering if I'm the only 'low techy' out there.

Marirose & Mules: Nellie, Noodle & Monty in MI