From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of RDCARRIE@xxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 10:20 PM
To: sharon1359@xxxxxxxxxxx; heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] [RC] Study on electrolyte/ulcers

In a message dated 3/22/2006 8:53:50 PM Central Standard Time, sharon1359@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

With your comments and the recent news about ulcers
I am doubly convinced that right now, for me and my horse, they're not a
good idea.

Sharon,
You don't want to do a 180 and take this extreme approach, either.  There's no right answer without riding your horse and seeing how he does.  It's not good to automatically start giving lots of elytes because "everyone else is" and it's equally not good to decide that they're a bad idea for your horse just because some people post on RC that they don't use them and their horses do fine.  Elytes, whether administered by syringe or taken in with feed, are necessary.  You'll need to see how your horse does, how he eats and drinks, etc. and make decisions based on what you learn from him.  Elytes *are* much more important to consider giving in the hot humid SE US, and elsewhere that is hot and humid.  I give far fewer elytes when I go to NM to ride.  Here in E. Texas (aka the sauna), my horses do better when receiving more elytes, even though they do eat well.

Ride your horse, watch him, evaluate him, and then decide whether you need to supplement him with elytes.  JMHO.

Dawn in East Texas