Re: [RC] Herd bound - Sisu West Ranch

I have seen two types of instruction about what to do about a "herd bound" horse.

One suggests making his/her life miserable when near the herd, and happy away.  That is you work and/or punish them near the herd, and let them walk when going away.  I'm sure it works.

The other is what I have always done with mine.  Almost all the time I have ridden my personal horse alone and without companions from the herd.  I start right when I get them and just ride away.  With almost all horses, while they are a bit goosey, they haven't yet got a strong attachment and things go fine.  If a horse is a bit spooky away from the herd, like Stevie who had never seen forests or herds of maniacal white tailed deer, I dismount and let them graze awhile.  Eventually they associate being away with grazing and the problem has corrected itself.  On the way back I make sure that they do not always turn in the drive, but go further.  If they balk, they go back and forth until they relax.

If a horse starts to get excited when going alone, I do not punish them (I don't want them to associate riding and me with unpleasant things).  I simply dismount and lead them away from home until they relax.  With Reno, I walked for miles in the beginning.

This spring, we will be taking our 2 yr. old for walks, like a dog on a leash.  He is rather bold, so I don't expect any problems.  If we do find he has a problem, he will go on lots of walks and we will become much more fit.  A win-win situation.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875