[RC] hoof problems - Pvan19

Hi Diane,

the first part of your message made me think that your horse has probably slightly changed his way of going after the shoeing problems and that that may have an effect under saddle ( especially shoulder muscles or more obviously the back ofcourse)

if however his foot is warmer than the other one  - could be the start of an abcess or an injury or a bit of arthritis...or a lower tendon problem

Am assuming no signs of a shock to the coronary band or anything? Foot warm after exercise only or all the time?

I'd suggest you ride him again (try to do enough to have him show the lameness without doing any unnecessary damage) - and trot him out in hand WITH his saddle without loosening the girth or anything -straight line & circles, have a helper there so you can watch the horse -  if he's the same like that and the same without the saddle, call your farrier to have him check the foot

IF he's better with the saddle but without the rider.. and ok without the saddle, check him over muscle wise if you know how to do it, or call the vet or chiro/physio/osteo  if you have one, OR rest the horse for a couple of weeks and ride him in a different saddle to see how he reacts

If you know how to do them you can do some flex tests to see if it's a low or high lameness ( have farrier do them otherwise) - if he thinks it's higher up call the vet.

he might simply be reacting to all the changes and revert back to normal without any treatment, just gentle exercise for say 6 weeks or so - the time for his body to adapt a bit more -if you're into homeophathy you might want to give him some arnica or rhus tox to help, in addition to some devil's claw and cortaflex or similar if you like.

Pauline

I am so hoping that you guys can give me some guidance on this=
topic.  My horse and I moved x-country last year.  I had an=
awful year with farriers, hence further injuries to my horse. =
Currently, after a farrier toed-in severely my arabian with very=
straight legs, my gut said this isn't right and by the third=
day, he was way off.  Had a new farrier come out and said it was=
a good thing I called, that he could have been permanently lamed=
from this job.  He fixed it the best he could and we are at the=
end of week 3.

Kharisma started moving out again and his fiesty personality of=
why walk when we can trot and so on was back.  Did a fairly=
difficult hunter pace here in South Carolina.  ride 1 1/2 weeks=
ago, he is off again under saddle.  Take saddle and rider off=
and play, he's fine.  No changes in saddle, feed or anything.

He also has warmth in that hoof, mostly at the cornary band.  Not=
bad, just alittle warmth compared to other foot.

I'm at wits end with this.  Would really welcome feedback from=
you guys on what it could be and what you would do.  Thank you=
so much.  Last competitve ride we did was Sand Hills last year. =
Doing hunter paces recently as training.  Help!

Diane