[RC] Hawthorne Trees / Bushes in Pasture - Valerie Nicoson - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Erick paradigm@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Well I was unable to find Hawthorne in my pesticide manual.  However, if
Prickly Pear is close, then GrazonP+D should work well.  I use Grazon in my
pasture to control cockleburrs and broadleaf weeds.  It requires a hazardous
pesticide license to buy, but that is easy to get.  You just have to watch some
videos at your local ag extension and then take a short quiz.  One tip is to
mix the Grazon with a chemical called Surmont.  This helps the pesticide
"stick" to leaves and makes it more efficient at killing the weed.  You will
need to rent a spray rig from the local Co-op because Grazon contaminates your
spray rig so it can't be used for anything else.  They have Grazon specific
spray rigs.

One observation here.  You stated in your post: "The pasture is well grazed
(not over grazed though) from cows"  I would caution that this time of year a
field should look pretty even if it is not healthy.  Grass has just started to
grow, but the weeds have not yet.  Be prepared to spend time and money to keep
your fields in shape.  A soil sample taken to your local extension office twice
a year will help you to determine what you need to do.  Also, when the weeds
start popping up later this spring, pull some examples out and take them in so
your extension agent can identify them and recommend the proper pesticide.

For example, in my fields, the predominent grass is fescue and some timothy.  I
have problems with burrs, thistle and some broadleaf weeds.  My soil sample
when I first bought the property a year ago showed a high PH level and
deficencies in Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potash.  The property had been used for
grazing cows for years and little had been done to maintain the fields.

I spent about $500 to dump 40,000 pounds of crushed limestone on the field last
fall.  Two weeks ago I spent about $600 to dump about 3,500 pounds of Ammonium
Nitrate, Phosphate and Potash out there.  In several more weeks I'll spend
another $200-$400 on pesticide.  All this for 18.25 acres of horsey heaven.  I
should have the best fed horses in the state next winter!

BTW, if anyone wants a copy of it....  I have the 2006 Weed Control Manual from
the University of Tennessee.  It is the "bible" of pesticides and is a 2.3 meg
pdf file.

Congrats on your new horsey property!

-Erick-