RE: [RC] Abused Endurance Horses and Ridecamp Singles - Mcgann, Barbara

What a great story, Joan.  Thanks for sharing that!

Barb McGann

-----Original Message-----
From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Joane Pappas White
Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 12:22 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Abused Endurance Horses and Ridecamp Singles

Dear Ridecampers,

Although I have not had much time to post lately, I do lurk.  I just have to
jump in on two of the current topics:

Abused Endurance horses means "Not Used" endurance horses.  Recently a lady
moved back to her family home in rural Utah.  She had to have a horse, of
course, and just had to have "this beautiful white Arabian gelding that had
been on the race track" is what she told me. She wanted something that could
play in an arena, do a little play day stuff, maybe a riding club event or
two and a little slow trail riding.  She took the horse out alone from her
house to walk though town and onto some local trails.

She had serious problems with what she described as "he keeps running away
with me and running home".  Apparently this had happened several times. He
dumped her each time and she was afraid of him.  I went over to see the
horse and he was as kind and laid back as you would ever want.  I thought
perhaps the "racetrack" experiences were the problem.  Then I started to
check into the horse, its background and training and, low and behold, he
was an endurance horse that was trained and ridden by a very experienced
endurance rider and had ridden Tevis twice.

When I asked her if she realized the the horse had this kind of background,
she said she knew he had raced.  She didn't really understand what endurance
racing was.  I suggested that instead of trying to make the Arab be a
quarter horse, why didn't she come and learn to be an endurance rider.  I am
sure that riding alone and trying to do it at a walk because that big ground
eating trot scared her to death, was just not hot his cup of tea.  Right now
he is running in the pastures with my endurance horses, and I will try and
take him for a ride soon and report how he handles---but I am betting I will
like him a lot.  If any of you are interested, I am sure she would make you
a great deal as she has found a quarter horse and wants to sell the Arab.

As for the topic of Ridecamp Singles--I think it is a great idea--or perhaps
just Ridecamp Riding Buddies.  Over 3 years ago, I started looking for
riding partners, as here in rural Utah it is hard to find fellow endurance
riders and even harder to hang on to friends when you drag them on endurance
rides.

I posted a note on Equestrian Singles and discovered a number of horse
people in the same situation.  A very nice Wyoming cowboy responded and I
asked him if he really rode a horse---enough to come and try Crockett and
Sharon's March ride with me and the junior I was sponsoring.  My junior and
I joked a lot about this "blind horse date" as he described it and he also
reminded me about the "endurance rider" who came to ride with us the year
before---the one in the Ralph Lauren polo shirt with the turned up collar
and the dog named Precious who whined the entire 5 mile trail ride---the man
not the dog----I am still living that one down with my crew!

Well, to all our surprise,  the Wyoming cowboy quietly told me he would try
if I would provide the horse.  Some of you know my Silver---giant dressage
trot that will put you right out of the saddle but she is also solid and
will take care of her rider, so that was my choice for my new cowboy friend.
My junior ended up borrowing a horse when his dinged up an ankle in the
trailer and I was on my brand new Canadian Dynamo Husky---the one Crockett
said would kill me for sure.

The horse Gods do get even, and while I hand-walked Husky half of the 30
mile ride, Wyoming took my junior and finished the ride in excellent time
and then came back to help me walk Husky in----he also rode 20 more LD rides
with us that year and racked up 530 miles as a newbie In one season.  It was
so delightful to go to a ride and actually have help!  Someone that knew
what I was talking about when I asked him to throw me the hackamore or mix
the electrolytes!  After an extra year and a half to make sure I was just
not dreaming this all up, we got married last New Year's Eve.

I no longer laugh about Internet horse dates----or using the Internet to
find horse people who share your interests and abilities rather than trying
to convert nonhorse people to this sport.   I am a firm believer in using
the Internet to communicate in our sport, as in most endeavors these days.
Endurance Net's classifieds are how I befriended my buddy Christy Jansen in
Canada, bought several great endurance horses from her, and got to crew for
her and Team Canada in international competiton. EnduranceNet is also how I
befriended Christoph and Dian and sold them Husky (Taj Rai Hasen) before he
killed me, so that Christoph could take him into 100's and qualify him for
Worlds---none of which would have happened to a woman living in the middle
of the Eastern Utah desert in the pre-Internet days.  So Steph and
John----we think you should set up Ridecamp Singles and Riding Buddies!  It
s a brave new world!

Joane and the Herd

Price, Utah