[RC] horse abuse - rides - smuncy

The problem with spouses who are not into horses, is trying to figure =
out if their comments are really out of concern for the horse, or just =
passive aggressive -
      suppose true. Especially if spouse never goes along - and feels 'left out'.
  On subject I will admit - back in late 80's, early 90's - I swore, "I would never do that - ride 25 - 100 miles,  on one of my horses". It was cruel and 'not safe' for  the horse.
  That was before I did my research.........   My husband ( at the time, had acquired a little arab mare, and showed interest in doing CTR / endurance). I signed up to go and help at few local rides, and gather info. - ride format, saddles, 'how done', etc. What I 'learned' completely changed my mind --  I started competing few years later ---- so, maybe husband just 'needs to be educated.'
   As far as weight horse/ to rider -- 'rule of thumb' was that a horse can easily carry up to 22% of body weight,.... after that  - yes, can condition to carry more, often slower, more 'care' with cooling, 'riding smart',  and there are exceptions to 'rules of thumb'. Have friend who is 6'4", about 245, ( without tack - with tack - figure - 265 -270) .  He would sometimes ride of  my  horses, at the time  - I was competing, and still does ride with me -  ( I had to start him on one I thought he could control, and refused to put him on 'the firecracker' til knew he could ride) one 14.3 - about 900 lbs, ( yrs of conditioning- with me), and one 15.1 -about 1000 lbs- 'some conditioning- a couple yrs.,   both carried him without problems -  though have to admit would take them longer to cool out with him riding than me,- Why was advantagous for me to have him condition "Trapper" ( firecracker) the bigger horse, when I was competing - when I got on him he  was carrying about half wt.  :)
     Now 'new' horse, I have I would  not allow him to ride - as horse barely 'broke', small and not used to carrying any weight. Couple years from now - horse may be able to carry him fine.- after conditioned, back used to bearing weight, etc.    Stephanie M