RE: [RC] more general training questions - Tracey Lomax

Ed wrote:

>>  many people will tell you, oh just let them buck it out when you first put the saddle on.  i think if you do that, you are letting them know that is ok.

Ed, please can you explain how you stop the horse from bucking?  I also don’t like to encourage bucking but I don’t back youngsters, and so have different experience to yours.  I was just wondering how you stopped the bucking.

 >>i like to ride  young horses out by themselves for the first few times. i dont pony them at all.  it helps them become more independant, prevents barn sour and buddy sour.

Yup.

I personally also throw as much as I can at them early on.  When we first brought Dice home, the first night we put him in the arena, under lights, left all the jumps up, brought the pig in and basically said “okay, deal”.

He did.

Generally, youngsters are far less spooky and worried than we expect them to be.  It’s when they get big and important that they start throwing hissy fits at you. J

Tracey