Re: [RC] Oats - Diane Trefethen

Lif Strand wrote:
Enzymes, which are critical to digestion and health, are present only in *living* cells. Seeds are dormant, but still living. Rolled/crimped seeds have been "killed" and any enzyme component would also be destroyed.

I am not sure that the enzymes IN grains is as important to their "nutritional delivery" as the enzymes IN the horse's fore gut. Nevertheless, even if grains have been "killed", I do not believe that their deaths (gad this sounds so morbid and almost "alien") degrade the nutritional value of the grain MORE than the dry processing improves that
same nutritional value.

I have not disagreed with your premise because I simply don't know whether killing enzymes in grains influences their nutritive values or whether any such enzymes ARE killed or even if they exist.

I am old enough to know that there is a lot of healthy food advice out there and that just because it is put forward by well-meaning individuals doesn't mean it is right. Remember Susan Powter and her, "It's fat that makes you fat!" diet craze? Avoid all fat, stick with whole grains and fruit? She meant well but then along came Atkins - avoid carbs, eat meat and fats - and he meant well too. Now, surprise, surprise, we find, like
the High Lama of Shangri-La proffered, "Moderation in all things... including moderation itself", there are healthy carbs and not so healthy ones, good fats and bad fats.

If you are right, then the question is to what degree are "killed" grains degraded. Flour, oatmeal, Wheaties, 6-grain breads, all of these foods are composed of grains that have been "killed". Does this mean we should eat whole beards of wheat and unhusked oats instead or is the nutritional value of these foods more than adequate, not to mention digestible and palatable, for our needs?