Re: [RC] John Lyons stuff OT and long don't read if it will bug you - Barbara Moulton

I went with a friend and some 4h girls and saw John
Lyons in Albany OR a few years ago.  He was stressing
using the bridle for communication and his demo horse
was a freind of Kathy's that the owner had so much
trouble with she just wasn't riding it anymore.  The
horse did great for him but the owner didn't have much
luck with duplicating that level of control.  I saw
him last year in Boise and he has added more rider
cues to the equation.  He gave me great advice on how
to deal with Joy's past problem with balking. ( we are
done with that now that her poor feet don't hurt but I
didn't know that then)  Traditional advice was to just
make her go in circles and keep moving no matter what
when she doesn't want to go.  If I didn't have such
messed up legs that would work but sometimes balance
is what I have to depend on and Joy can put on a spin
like the greatest reiner you ever saw...thud :-O
He told me his go forward cue.  ride her in an arena
and when she stops (at the gate) just give rhythmic
LITTLE taps with your feet.  The beauty of this is
that when I am riding with bad legs like I often do a
little tap is about all I can do anyway.  Well the
first time we tried it I was tapping for almost 40
minutes.  I deserve a medal for all the razzing I got
from our two cowboy boarders who wanted me to whollop
her or get some spurs or slap her with the reins or
let them whack her butt.  All of a sudden she sighed
and took a forward step or two then of course stopped
again.  Then it only took about a minute of taps and
by the end of first training day it only took three or
four taps. It even worked leaving the barn for my herd
bound drama queen to go trail ride alone like we
always had to.  Way cool. I had been walking her the
1/2 mile to the park.
Barbara and Joy ( hey mom I got happy feet now let's go)

http://mail.yahoo.com