[RC] re: sales of federal lands - Mary Krauss

All I know is that, despite their initial good effect, the radical elements of the environmental movement have pushed timber harvesting into such a corner, that private land-holders have little option except to sell out to enormous companies that can afford to fight for the right to harvest, or to developers who permanently alter the landscape with concrete and faux chateaus. I can't help but believe that the federal government is in the same boat. We nearly expired over what the state forester told us when we questioned why our harvesting or a federal sale was being delayed when it had passed every environmental hurdle out there: "well, to be honest, it doesn't matter that there are no legitimate challenges, it is simply a fact that there will be protests and we aren't in a position to resist them." What's the government to do with its resources--our public resources--when its not allowed to manage them responsibly?

Our company just bought a lot of acreage that had been owned and managed well by a family for a very long time. That family couldn't afford a legal battle every time they wanted to cut, so they sold to a conglomerate that promptly cut every tree, then shut down the local mills and departed, leaving ghost towns and lots of meth labs in their wake. We bought the land (fairly inexpensively) because we are a family company in it for the long run, and we don't mind the fact that the land will be worthless monetarily for 80 years or so. Had there been a rational culture of sustainable harvesting, that original family would still be managing 5,800 acres of beautiful forests instead of our staring at a wasteland for nearly 100 years!

Off my soapbox now. By the way--my family is an interesting mix of tree-hugging Sierra Club/Audoubon members and practical business people. We have great dinner table conversations.....

Mary K. who thinks we should put together a ride on this new property!