Re: [RC] [RC] Training Leo.... - Karen Sullivan

Regarding Mary and Diana;s comments,

Diana, I complete agree with you about Pete Ramey; I also attended a clinic
in Feb.
and was pretty much blown away by his presentation, knowledge and
research...his
explanation on what happens with laminitis goes down to cellular and enzyme
levels...
plus his presentation is extremely clear and straightforward....my horses
are also now
all barefoot, and I am using easyboot epics....

Regarding the underrun heels Mary's statement about her farrier wanting to
"Bring up the heels
over time" worries me since most of the underrun heels I have seen are not
too low, but in reality, too far forward and actually may be too high....the
heel buttreses are in the incorrect place and
I would bet money that if they are underun, they are also very weak and
wimpy.

I have an Arab mare with the worst shaped feet you can imagine, long and
narrow, had chronically underun heels, stretched forward toe and
sole.....weak heel buttresses and thin hoof walls.  With
correct trimming over 6 months, her hoof is showing distinct signs of
remodeling for the better;
heels back and now correct height; strong heel buttress, much stronger hoof
wall growing out, hoof
is taking on much rounder shape (NOT by the rasping).

Do not confuse Ramey methods with more invasive types of barefoot trims!

Also a great website with wonderful case studies and very good links is
www.healthyhoof.com

I do have to say I am desperately trying to avoid becomming a "barefoot
whacko"!  I believed for
the past 16 years I HAD to have steel shoes for my riding trails here which
are very  hard and rocky.Between a correct trim, lot of movement on my
property to stimulate hoof circulation, and judicious use of easyboots, I am
managing all my horses barefoot now.  I believe the easyboot epics are a
much better option than nail-on shoes.

Other benefit worth mentioning is that they are also moving better...the
mare mentioned above used to have a just horrible bouncy trot, awful bounce
going downhill......and all of that has changed also.  I believe my former
farrier was doing just a great job with keeping heels back, not too high,
and toes short...good angles, but over the years and years of shoeing; the
mares feet got worse and worse....

Karen