[RC] [RC] summer sores? - Jonathan Bowman - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Erick paradigm@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

My wife and I have a 26 year old Anglo Arab named Vne (Vinnie).  Every summer,
no matter what we do, he'll get summer sores.

We worm our horses regularly and rotate wormers as well.  They are in a large
pasture now instead of stalls which helps.

One year he got them so bad in one eye he was in the hospital for a week!  We
were lucky and he did not lose vision in that eye.  Since then, when the first
fly appears the fly mask goes on and does not get removed until the last fly is
gone!

It is my opinion that if a horse is prone to summer sores you will not be able
to stop an outbreak unless you live in a completely fly free zone (Does one
even exsist?)

However, we have learned to manage outbreaks.  Worming, Fly Masks, Fly Sprays,
etc, have become religion around our place.  At the FIRST sign of even the
smallest hint of an outbreak we begin treatment.  The vet gives Vne a shot (I
forget what the shot is, sorry) and we also get a salve from him.

Besides the one year in the hospital with the eye infection, he has always been
sound and rideable during the outbreaks.  Of course you have to be ready for
the stares and comments.

Vne is the best horse we ever had.  He taught both my wife and then me to ride.
He has never competed endurance but regularly went camping in the mountains.
I would never trust another horse on some of the hairy trails above Emigrant
Gap in the Sierras that Vne has calmly and steadfastedly carried me on.  He is
semi-retired now, but is still ridden every day bareback with only a halter.
He carries me up to get the mail and around the ranch to feed the animals.
When I'm done, I hop off, turn him loose and he finds his own way over to his
feeding stall.  Because he eats so slow and has very little back teeth left we
feed him seperately.  When he is done he will call out and I'll open the
pasture gate and let him back with the other boys.

Be prepared to spend some $$ caring for a horse that gets summer sores.  Don't
buy him in the first place if you are not prepared for multiple vet visits,
shots, etc. EVERY YEAR! Vne has cost WAY more than he was ever worth at sale.
But so what; we love him anyway.

Good luck!!

-Erick-