[RC] Summer Sores - Vchorsegal

Hi Jonathan & Melody-
  I had a horse at my ranch w/ summer sores.  The vet thought it may be due in part to a weak immune system.  Maybe not a big deal, but he has also had allergies/hives, etc.  We are to Ivermectrin him every 4 weeks when flies begin.  he even had larvae in his sheath.  This is a very well cared for, 8 year old Quarter Horse with great breeding.  He has successfully done LD's & trail.  We put him on Dynamite vitamins, MSM ( for skin health ) & Fatty acid tablets you can buy for dogs.  We also wrapped/covered the affected areas, as the horses rub off fly protection and goop, if you can. The horse you are looking at may not have the additional problems, but if they are susceptible to one, they may also get other stuff. Hope this helps- It was a mystery for us for a while !  - Heidi Helly
p.s. It should not be at all contagious- per my vet !