[RC] mares and geldings - Alexa Olney

I believe that combing or creating a herd of horses is
a difficult job no matter what the sex.  I  have grown
up around horses and seen many different situations.
I have come to see that there is more of a problem
with combining young horses who dont have proper
social herd skills with older horses who do. I have
seen more than one almost get chased through the fence
when the dominant horse gets tired of them.  It is
definetly a trial and error process, you can't just
put them together and think that everything will be
fine.  I have seen a dominant horse in one herd be the
low man in another.

 If a gelding were being that aggresive towards mares
as to "rape" them I would definetly have a vet examine
him to make sure he  does not have a retained testicle
(proud cut).  We did have an exprience with this once
at a ride.  Some friends had just bought a "gelding"
who got loose and proceeded to try and "rape" the mare
tied to our trailer.  They had him examined and he
indeed did still have a testicle  left.  Some one did
not want to spend the money to have the surgery on
this crypt-orchid.  The only times I have seen
geldings mount mares the mare was very persitent that
he do the deed.  When that behavior was seen they were
seperated and put into a different group.  So in the
long run you just have to wait and see what happens. I
have come to learn that horses and horses sociaty is
very unpredictable in some instances or maybe they
aren't??

Safe Horsin Around
Alexa Olney

http://mail.yahoo.com