Re: [RC] [RC] re: mixing mares and geldings--question to other RC horse experts - Debbie Kirchner

Wow--I'm really shocked at this news from Ginny.  Do other experts out there think this is for real stuff?  I'm looking for a pasture mate for my mare here in Berkeley/Orinda and was thinking a gelding as she's (my mare) so dominant: am I setting myself up for a fall here?  This sounds pretty terrifying.

I honestly have not had any long term issues with a gelding at all.. except for the two geldings I have now, they fought to kill one time, I separated them and they have been apart since...  one gelding runs with one mare, the other 2 geldings run with a 2 year old filly, a 10 year old molly mule... all are happy this way.. I might mix them up this summer to see how things go, But I will be very careful when I do to monitor them...

before this experience, I have always run mares and geldings together... never a problem...  I think if you put two dominant horses together, you are going to have more problems, mare-mare, gelding-gelding, mare-gelding....

if one will back down, then I think you have a harmonious herd, I have only had 2 geldings mount a mare... I think if they are going to mount, they will mount, day or night... in my sight or not... so, I am fairly sure that the gelding that is with the mare is not mounting her anymore, he never did penetrate her when I saw him  mount her... He has finally settled into his new home.... and is not that hot excited gelding that he became when I brought him home...

Interesting side note, when I but Dukes mare in with the herd she had run with for a year or more, after being with Duke, the dominant Gelding,  the other herd chased her, had I not been home to save her, I think they would have killed her... I could not believe it...

So, I did have a mare/gelding issue... or was it a she smells like Duke issue now... and she is not allowed back in here??? I do not know, but it shocked me to pieces... so when I regroup them this summer, I will be very careful...

Find a horse that is not dominant for a pasture mate for your mare, and I suspect you will be fine... mare or gelding...

      Debbie in SE MN

Energy for LIFE and Weight Loss too!!!