[RC] mares and geldings - Kathie Ford

Hi all, hope this finds everybody well and happy!

This is a really interesting thread.  Something different.  Really neat to hear of all these different situations.

I have a 7 mares, and two geldings.  One older gelding lives down the street at a neighbors.  His name is "Pops".  Some of you might remember his story.  Anyway, we had him here for a bit but he, even in his very late 20's and coming  back from being in an emanciated state, actually would act very studdy around the mares.  So we had him in the adjoining pasture area.  Then we later moved him down to our neighbors who had flatter terrain and were missing having horses (their last horse died in it's late 30's..they hadn't been w/o horses since l968 and really missed them) so he is down there now thriving.  But, later we acquired another gelding, younger and a little more passive.  We had thought about mixing him with the mares then decided he'd be "taken over" by my mares.  All 7 are dominate, but have worked things out.  We figured throwing him in would really put things in a whirl and also figured he wouldn't get any food!

So we put him right next to them in the adjoining area.  He can socialize safely over the fence, get nice grooming sessions from the mares, in turn (they all take turns with him!), and we ride them with him which has never been a problem.  One on one they all accept him and he is happy with their company as well.

For more socialization we take him down the street to "play" with Pops and they get along great and have fun.  He likes his "sleepovers" there.  But he does seem to show signs of missing his mares when he first leaves which is really cute.

I almost decided to put him in with my mares a few weeks ago.  But decided against it.  My big mare Spirit is the boss in there and I just didn't want to risk getting anyone hurt.   If I had more acreage, and another gelding or two then would most likely work.  But just decided it is harmonious as it is now and wasn't going to stir the waters.  They all seem very happy with the current arrangements.  No sense rocking the boat.

I think all situations are different and all horse's personalities are different as well.  So you just have to test the waters to see what works and what doesn't.

Also, my mares have a small "herd within the herd" as three of them are family; mother, daughter, granddaughter.  That makes for very interesting pecking order situations.  Very interesting to watch the interaction on a daily basis.

kathie