[RC] mixing mares and geldings - Dot Wiggins

This was many years ago, just for what it's worth.

About a dozen to 20 head, mixed geldings and mares, all ages, 4 to teens, with a few foals some years.
Most were working as trail horses, lessons, etc. Routinely pastured together every nite, and during off seasons, fed in small groups or in stalls during work hours. There were occasional quarrels, especially with a new horse, and groups of 3 to 5 that formed their own little "herd" in the big pastures. On the whole the social order was clear but calm, even in close quarters in corrals..

Most of the group was moved about 50 miles to another large pasture. After about 6 months the geldings began to be much more aggressive to the mares and each other. Several that had been very stable generally agreeable geldings turned to stallion like behavior, no fun to be around, could no longer be left with the rest.

At the same time the mares and foals were not doing as well as they should even though the feed appeared to be wonderful.

Changed to hay hauled from a different area, and added a better balanced mineral, (this was long before feed could be readily analyzed) which was just becoming available.
Not only helped the mares and foals, the silly geldings began to revert back to what they had been before. We soon moved back to the original area, in a few months all was again normal and pleasent. Geldings were geldings, and mares and foals were thriving.

FYI the only part I can remember for sure in the supplement was mostly phosphorus. I know there were other trace elements also.
It was never a lack of quantity of feed, just not just not good nutrition..
When ever I hear about a gelding that is unusually agressive and or studdy, I wonder if there is a feed/mineral imbalance somewhere. Shouldn't be so hard to identify these days.

Just my experience, FWIW.