Re: [RC] Palominos - Kris

All correct, but small clarification needed. (i'm a huge color genetics
nerd, and got several credit hours for an independent research project in
the field)

There are several things that can cause a chestnut to be flaxen. One way is
the recessive flaxen, at an unknown locus. The horse has to genetically be
homozygous recessive at the extension locus (resulting in chestnut) in order
for the homozygous recessive flaxen to be expressed. Therefore, a bay son of
Fire N Ice (who is eeff, son would be Ee?f) could still throw a flaxen foal.
This flaxen is very striking.

There is one other way to cause a flaxen chestnut that's completely
unrelated to this, and is starting to become more common in the Arab. With
less selection pressure against white markings, the dominant Sabino pattern
gene (a pinto gene which appears to be recessive but is not) has started to
appear. I have a wildly nerdy theory as to why this occurred, but I won't
bore you with it. You can see it in the Khemosabi line a lot, but I'm riding
a loud Sabino right now that has no relation to that line. But when a horse
is a chestnut and also receives one copy of the Sabino, it often can become
somewhat to very flaxen. and if body spots aren't evident (which they
usually aren't in this breed) then it may be confused with a recessive
flaxen chestnut, which makes for a lot of confusion when the foals start
hitting the ground. For whatever reason, rabicano (a pattern of roan) can
have a minimal flaxen affect as well. Insert another wildly nerdy theory
here.

There's one more way to get a flaxen horse, though this one is incredibly
rare, but possible. The gene IS present in the Arab, just in small numbers.
I haven't seen it at all, so I can't comment on how it tends to look, but I
know what it often does in other breeds. This is the Silver Dapple gene,
which does not affect a chesnut horse at all. Its a dominant dilution gene
with the same effect  eterozygous as homozygous. A black horse with this
dilution would appear a flaxen black (look at a Rocky Mountain horse). A bay
could be confused with a flaxen chesnut as well - red body, flaxen mane and
tail. Sometimes the legs are black, whitening near the bottom, but sometimes
the entire leg can be lighter.

As you can imagine, these other two won't breed true, and probably are
unimportant in the general breeding program, but i had to pipe up.

Kris (I can talk genetics all day and enjoy being bombarded by questions)