Re: [RC] Sweepstakes, AHA & AERC Convention - Bette Lamore

Hi Christy
My information is that the Sweepstakes Program is still undergoing change. I
got involved again of late when a client wanted to breed 2 of my mares to my
stallion and wanted him to be Sweepstakes. She offered to pay half of the $3500
nomination fee. I have had qualms about this program for years as it has always
favored halter and English Pleasure trainers/owners as the win money was in
those disciplines. Now they are attempting to spread it also to Sport
Horse/hunter and some for endurance, thanks to some very dedicated endurance
people. There are still problems that need to be worked out and my biggest fear
is that Sport Horse will become as corrupt/political as the halter and English
Pleasure and some Western Pleasure became. Talk to any of the dressage or open
jumper competitors and they will tell you that politics is starting to rear its
ugly head--- although not in full force yet and hopefully there are those
trying to prevent the corruption. When you have trainers who
se livelihoods depend on winning and they are also the judges, it is a no win
situation for the small time breeder/competitor.
I'm still paying off the Sweepstakes and feeling pretty awful about having to
do so. My only hope is that there is a real change in the system and that the
little guy will stand the same chance at winning as the big ones. I have a few
clients who want to compete in the Sport Horse shows and I am hoping they have
a shot at some of the Sweepstakes $$$. I remember when I competed my horse
Excylenz and we had nominated him Sweepstakes back in the late 80's and we won
$1000 at Region I! The downside was that it cost us $2000 for the show with
trainer fees, transportation, show costs.... Still, it did help defray expenses
and we were thrilled!! We were new and naive then and were spending the big
bucks on well known trainers. The minute we switched to very competent trainers
known in the dressage world, we crashed and burned with the same horse. Live
and learn and I can only hope that with all the problems AHA is having and the
drop in registrations, show attendance and participat
ion, etc, that they truly are dong a major overhaul. Change is made via those
who get involved rather than those who merely complain so I am trying to keep
in contact and give my feedback. Went to a regional meeting and put in my 2
cents worth-- will do again as my resources permit. I have had good experiences
with many of the staff there. It only takes a few dedicated to their own
agenda's to try and spoil it for the rest of the majority of horse owners so I
have been encouraged to stay involved and I hope that many endurance people
with a little extra time make their voices heard as well. A thousand mile
journey begins with a single step....
Oh, those of you that signed the petition we had on ridecamp-- bravo! I was
told that it really did make an impact and helped those who were pushing for
endurance rewards-- still a ways to go....
Bette
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians
Home of Bunny and 16.2h TLA Halynov
who lives on through his legacy Hal's Riverdance!
http://www.arabiansporthorse.com

"Life is not  a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --WOW-- what
a ride !! "

Christy Adame wrote:
Maybe I'm speaking out of turn: Shouldn't there (if there isn't already) be a spokesman from the AHA to explain the recent changes, and any benefits to the sweepstakes program during the AERC convention? I mean, isn't that what conventions are for? To share ideas, update the organization on any changes, etc...?

((who doesn't have a sweepstakes nominated horse, but would like to know just the same))

Christy in TX