[RC] field trials - Anita Messenger

We average about a 6 mph walk,which is why we use
gaited=
horses,TWH's almost exclusively,with some MFT's and=
SSH's,etc.When non-gaited riders show up,they are
forced to=
constantly trot or lope,and they often find their
visit quite a=
revelation.Field trial pointers and setters are to
most bird=
dogs what a Ferrari is to a pickup
truck.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

There is a 5,000 acre field trial area west of Hot
Springs, Arkansas called Blue Mountain Wildlife
Refuge, close to Booneville. It's run now by the Corps
of Engineers - they have big, big championship dog
trials there. And they use gaited horses to keep up
with the dogs. :-) They told us that anyone can come
ride in the "gallery", but you better have a horse
that's in really good condition if you do. This place
has been doing this for decades now, and it is a
really nice facility. Our Morgan club used to have an
annual trail ride there (it's free for horse people to
use when the dogs aren't using it). There are RV
hookups, paddocks, barn w/stalls, dining room,
showers, etc., and lots and lots of chainlink dog
pens. :-) Our club ride had a caterer coming to do the
food - that was so nice. You ride for hours and then
come in to a hot meal, all you can eat. Then go do it
again. That was a three day ride. We usually went with
the big guided groups as we knew people who got lost
out there, riding on their own. One year we took our
doctor's buggy and Morab mare, and drove it all over
as they have miles and miles of roads back in there.
We really miss having that ride very fall. People
would come from all over.

Anita in Arkansas

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com