Re: [RC] [RC] AHA Sweepstakes Program - SandyDSA

For us it has been a joke since its inception, given its price tag and horribly obvious bent toward halter and EP. Just what most horses LOVE to do! stand around shaven to look like a wet suit, slimy with gloss, and painted within an inch of their lives - all so they can mince around a groomed arena with their eyes bugged out from coke drops and their tails flying high with ginger. Nice. This si all at 2-3 years old. Then if they even GET used for anythig under saddle to "prove" themselves, it usually is Ep with their heads yanked up in the air and their eyes STILL bugegd otu and their tails STILL gingered - but now the must be trotty, stretchy, snorty, typey...sigh. Oh brother. This is what AHA rewards. How about kind, gentle, sensitive, smart, balanced, athletic, correct, and SOUND?? How would THAT be? Until they change their focus to a good horse instead of bucks in the butt and what they consider prestige, it won't change. They like us to THINK it will change, because using Arabians are beginning to be a much bigger % of Arabians out there and they want our money. They don't want our SPORTS, but they want our MONEY. If they REALLY wanted to be inclusive, every sport or discipline would be $$ equal to the others, and the cost of being in the Sweeps program would not be so ghastly - and confusing. If it was as simple $200 initiation and $50 a month, every horse we have ever OWNED would be a part of it - well, of course if they also found some level of equity in the way monies are spread. But imagine - 6,7, or 8 horses at $3500 to $5000 each! Now they want another $100 a year?? Gee whiz!