[RC] Slack Reins, Dressage, Horse/Human Relationships - L gin

I have seen horses do the same thing without the 'show" form. I attended a John Lyons clinic and watched him do the same thing with ZIP and Seattle (both passed away now)-- and a tape of him doing dressage all tucked out --- he even had dressage riders work with his methods. There are "others " too -- that are more popular now ---it is all in the newer methods realizing you don't have to be so harsh to achieve the same results. Horses recognized a fly landing / they are sensitive --- it is the humans who won't or can't recognize the sensitivity and usually the willingness of a prey animal to respond and learn--- that said there are horses who don't want to cooperate or are more Alpha animals who need more persuasion--- but humans often willing to modify their methods to the nature of the particular horse--hence "one size fits all"---(hey, sounds like public school -- nope-- wrong subject;0)

But as we all know "Shows--Competetions" have certain expectations and if you don't dress right, use the right bits--form or ride the right breed you are almost automatically out of the ribbions---it is often a very rigid set of parameters you have to work in to try and compete.

I heard of a competitor who won big and was barefoot in a shod world ( either dressage or a saddlebred -- slips my mind-- but a big barefoot trimmer did their horse) and yet when it came to the competition he had to compromise the 'angles' of the foot they had been using in training to be more in accord with the 'competition '" mode.

John Lyons trained their horses in only snaffles-- but admits they had to put shanked bits in for competition as it is required---- they used to say to him "your horse should be old enough to use a shanked bit by now"- his daughter responded something like," my horse is trained well enough they don't need a shank in their mouth ".

No One likes an upstart (" like them endurance people" ;0)

Many people are not flexible to "different ways"

I love the gaited horses --- but look what is done to them-- and I knew kind owners who loved their horses but in even the little local shows their horses were up on blocks , long shanked bits drawn in like an accordion --riders rigidly jammed back on their backs-- horses going by me with lips drawn back , seating profusely , drenched after going 10 minutes around the arena--
everyone whistling and hooting -- horses just waiting for it to be over..................

Sorry not to get off on that--- but the show competitions often evolved into some kind of caricature--- of ---who knows what or why----

Things may be changing ---with the Monty Robert, John Lyons, Pat Parelli, Gawani" Pony boy, even some of the others---things like HOrse tv or RFD-TV and the books out---hopefully the best and least harsh will be gleaned----- and maybe more good will rise to the top and some of the scum will be skimmed off-----------

Back to packing and painting and floor laying and trying to train my first horse to trailer load-- I got to move in the next 30 days............. where there are trails again, and trail riders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!