[RC] How did you get started? - Aaron Turnage

Ive loved horses since I can remember. Rode my aunts
and uncles whenever I had a chance. When I was about 7
my dad started dating a lady by the name of Terry Reed
who lived in the Auburn area. Shes the one who taught
me how to really ride, gave lessons, I showed some,
rode as much as I could. Terry also told me about this
ride called the Tevis. Wow! That sounded like fun.

After a few years my dad and Terry split. So did the
horses for a while. When I was 14 and living with my
mom we finally got a house where I could have horses
again. Adopted my cousins geriatric but very active
old gymkhana TWH-cross. And a weanling QH filly. Broke
her myself at the age of 16 with the help of our
community college colt starting class. Learned from
some of the best, Tom Dorrance would come to lecture
and watch us ride.

Moved to Reno after high school and my filly died
tragically from Strangles at 2 1/2, which strangely
enough was contracted by another horse at a local
endurance ride and came back to the barn from there.
Started riding/conditioning the trainers endurance
horses while I didnt have one. Bought a spunky little
mare after her owner passed away and started
conditioning her for our first ride. Tevis was
something I fantasized about.

My little mare was tragically injured (nail into the
coffin bone in her corral somehow) the DAY before we
were to do our first LD. About a year later she was
still (permanently) off. Sold her to a lady for light
riding. I was pregnant at the time so didnt get
another horse for about a year. Started looking with
the goal of doing endurance, found my guy now.
Non-arab but quite capable. Wont be top ten material
but he can get the job done.

Did my first LD after having him only a month (what
was I thinking?). He did great and we had fun. Have
done 3 years now, and this year Im going to buy the
big ticket and try for Tevis. Its been my dream for 18
years now. My biggest goal is to finish a 100 this
year (my first).

Im also managing my first ride this year. If your in
the West Region, come check it out! Nevada Moonshine
in Reno, NV on June 10th, the Wests only NIGHT RIDE!
And well have a big ole full moon to have fun under!

~ Crysta