Re: [RC] AERC/NATRC Convention - Lynn Kinsky

Title: Re: [RC] AERC/NATRC Convention
You mentioned the new Distance Only option in NATRC -- this was approved by
the NATRC national board, and is going to be offered at all NATRC rides next
year.  I think it's a great opportunity for people to try out competitive
trail riding in NATRC, without the pressure of having to complete the
"judged obstacles."  I believe that the other rules of NATRC are to be
observed, however.

As I understand it, the Distance Only option is just a more easily understood name for the Hors de Concours option that has been available since before I started doing NATRC in 1987.  One could always ride HDC and be eligible for mileage only.

C. Hors de concours (HDC): outside of the competition
1. Horses and/or riders participating HDC for any reason will be judged in all ride
activities as are other competitors but will be eligible for mileage only.
2. Horses and/or riders participating HDC must obey all NATRC rules (except
those exemptions specified in paragraphs 3-9 below) and any ride rules, must
ride in an acceptable manner and not disrupt the ride for other competitors.
3. Horses may participate with or without boots (e.g. splint boots, bell boots)
and/or the use of any temporary types of hoof protection.
4. A rider may ride HDC in any class or division in horsemanship.
5. A horse may participate HDC in any class or division only if the rider also
competes HDC in horsemanship.
6. HDC horses/riders will not count as a competitor in the Class. In limited rides,
regular entries will be allowed to displace HDC entries provided that the regular
entry is received at least 5 days prior to the day of check-in for the ride. Ride
management must make an effort to notify any HDC entries that they might not
be able to participate in the ride.
7. Any person or horse excluded from competing in Section III D1b of the rules
(family members or horses owned by family of judges or rules interpreters) may
enter the ride HDC.
8. Any rider or horse-and-rider combination excluded from competing in the
Novice Division in Section III A2f of the rules (having five firsts, placing 3rd or
higher, judges) may enter the ride HDC in the Novice Division.
9. Any horse ineligible to compete for awards may enter HDC if said ineligibility
in the opinion of the veterinary judge does not constitute a physical abuse of the
horse.
10. HDC must be declared prior to the official start of the ride.

--

 Lynn Kinsky, Santa Ynez, CA
 http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky/