Re: [RC] How did you get started? - Tiffany D'Virgilio

I have been riding since I was 2, and gave it up for a while because we showed and I was totally bored and frustrated with the whole scene. I did gymkhana too, but was just bored. I finally saw something about endurance after rescuing my two current arabs and getting a subscription to AHW. They always cover endurance and by then I was exclusively riding trails and had done a trail trial. (Too slow and my mare couldn't figure out why I insisted on her crossing a narrow bridge in the middle of a wide trail-why do that when you can go around?), endurance fascinated me. I just wanted to ride as much as I could and to feel the wind in my hair (OK, helmet). I moved to a community where there is a riding club and multiple endurance riders and lo and behold, trained and trained and then jumped in with both feet, doing my first ride, a 50, with no crew. (Hey, I never said I was smart) The people were amazing, and it was a hot and humid ride-by the end I wanted to die, but that mare and I...something happened out there. I had never bonded like that with a horse, maybe only excepting my shetland Merrylegs. It was a special thing and that mare and I would take care of one another to the death. I haven't done a 25, it doesn't hold interest for me because I do that milage in training, and I like the challenge of a 50. That is me-I know some love the 25's, and I am sure they get the same feelings, it is just the milage they have chosen to do, as is 100 or multidays.
So here I am taking my other horse to her first 50 tomorrow. What is the best part of the coming weekend for me? Finding out what she is made of and seeing where our relationship goes from here.
I have two Arabs now, both rescues with papers and a more loving, docile horse I could never hope to have. I've had ponies, shetland, welsh, and POA, horses, Morab, Appy, QH, and just like disciplines and milage, I loved them all for their different abilities-I am blessed to have two that love being out there on the trail, their courage and honesty humbles me and makes me remember what the most important thing is ALWAYS, which is their welfare.
Tiffany