From: Sherman <sherman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 10:13:05 -0800
Subject: [RC] Cantering issues/young horse

Lysane,
Have you considered pain as an issue with your horse?  With your youngster being stiff and one sided you might want to have a chiropractor check her out.  I have a "short" 3 yr old (born in late Aug) and only 13.3H, but she quite willingly canters in both directions when lounging or being ridden in the arena.

I've also been told to practice what your horse doesn't do well, rather than what they are already doing well, so for instance, with my new 7 yr old, he doesn't like his back feet picked up but is okay on his front, so 90% of my hoof picking & hammering time is spent on his rears. This new fellow also has a preference to going counter-clockwise, but no physical signs of discomfort of stiffness, so I keep him going clockwise longer than he wants to, rather than switch directions before he tries. I watch for the signal from him that he is considering a switch, then put myself in position to keep him going the direction that I want.

Kathy