Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] Causes of Suspensory Injuries//Truman--Canter Leads - Barbara McCrary

For most of my early riding life, I consistently posted on the right diagonal.  Could it be that it is because I am so strongly right-side oriented?  I don't know, but about 25 years ago, I took lessons for about 4 months, struggling to learn how to change diagonals.  I finally got it, and I can change now, even if some horses want to keep throwing me back onto one diagonal.  We have a long easy grade on a fire road that follows the contours of the mountain, and I practice there, as it snakes along.  Great practice.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, January 01, 2006 10:41 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] Causes of Suspensory Injuries//Truman--Canter Leads

 I see so many riders ride mile after mile on the right diagonal, and I can see the horse fatiguing.  It's all about footwork, isn't it?

Many people don't even know what a diagonal is. They haven't had a lesson in their life and they just ride and post. I've ridden with lots of people who are clueless about diagonals and wouldn't know which one they were on much less which lead their horse is on. Its sad but true. (thank you mom and dad for all those riding lessons.....;-)
--------Karla Watson/Oregon