Re: [RC] Need advice--horse won't stand still - Karla Watson

I have a horse like that. We joke he has attention deficit disorder! He is a busy guy. We solved that problem by always tieing him up with a hay bag with yummy hay. Gives him something to DO while he is tied and I'm brushing/tacking/etc and gives him a something positive experience. It has worked magic with him. It sure beat getting frustrated or upset or loosing my cool. Now he stands and eats and is quiet. Worth a try right?
------------Karla Watson/Oregon
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, January 01, 2006 3:46 PM
Subject: [RC] Need advice--horse won't stand still

I'm sure as the work with my new 9-year-old green broke Arab continues, I will be constantly seeking advice from you guys...here's the latest:  Now that he's stopped pulling back and panicking when he's tied, he won't stand still.  I can barely saddle him.  I feel like we're doing a combination tarantella and mambo while I try to reach for the girth, keep the saddle in place and not get stepped on.  He knows "whoa", but it only works for a few seconds.  I've tried lunging him first, and also have tried having another horse tied nearby.  I've noticed he's gotten worse about this since they've closed the doors for the winter and he can't see out (the hitching rails are at one end of the indoor arena).  Once I'm on him--while not what you'd call a relaxing ride--he's pretty well-behaved, and is better outside on the trail.  It's just that he frets a lot while tied. I'm confident he will probably settle down eventually, but I'd appreciate suggestions.  There is a man where we board who has used hobbles with his own horses, and I'm wondering if they would help.  I have no experience with them and am a little leery.   Thanks in advance

Chip