[RC] training question - agilbxr

Ok all you dressage guru's (and non-dressage guru's too), how do you keep a horse from leaning on the bit?  Spot is doing great in his training.  He's much more consisitant, less dangerous (always a plus) and he now goes forward when I ask, and doesn't go uncontrollably backwards when he doesn't want to do things.  Now it's time to get rid of the less dangerous bad habits...i.e. bit leaning.

Spot has always resented the bit.  Since he was a baby, he is happier in a hack, but will go in a bit if you ask.  I am working on getting him balanced and supple, and I find it's easier to communicate with him when he's wearing a snaffle bit.  Right now i have a plain D Ring, French Link snaffle, that he seems comfortable in, and will take readily when bridling.

Unless you ride him on the buckle, he will lean on the bit to pull the reins out of your hands.  He has never been ridden with a heavy hand, and I try to make sure mine are as light as possible, but he still pulls.  It's kind of annoying. I have been doing a half halt when he does that and asking him to move forward, or asking for a turn.  He's less inclined to do it on a turn, but he still will.  Today I started lightly popping him on the shoulder with my riding crop and tell him "QUIT", and after about 4 pops, he figured out what I was popping him about, and then started testing it.  It was quite interesting actually...the horse ain't stupid!  But, I would really like the habit to go away without me having to pop him for it.

Any ideas?  You guys always seem to have a few good ones hidden in there...and bring them out for those of us who are clueless.  We do appreciate it!!

Thanks
Juli and Spot (she popped me! In the shoulder! That's not very nice....)
and Alpine (I don't pull on the reins, I just ignore the snaffle bit and take mom on a nice ride whenever she tries to use it.  That's why I have that hack/snaffle combo thingy)