Re: [RC] weight divisions /Julie Suhr's Opinion/Joe, Diane, Kat - Beverley H. Kane, MD

Joe et al***

On 1/1/06 2:56 AM, "Joe Long" <jlong@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
No, 160 pounds is the "maximum" of the featherweight range.  The minimum
weight for featherweight is zero pounds.
-----------------------------

***Quoting chapter and verse on a Sunday morning: in accordance with AERC
rules, especially 8.5.2.5 below., there is no -maximum- weight for any
division. So FW is, as Kat says below, an "open" division. Anyone can
compete as a FW as long as s/he cares to forfeit the theoretical advantage
to lighter weight riders.

***Interestingly enough for the spirit of this discussion, Julie Suhr's
wonderful book "Ten Feet Tall, Still" quotes the full text of an article she
wrote for Endurance News when the weight divisions went into effect in 1973.
The article offers a charming, rather Ayn Randish argument against
handicapping in general by offering tongue-in-cheek some theroetically
plausible, but practically speaking absurd, additional criteria for
handicapping.  Excertps below.*****

8.5.2.1 Heavyweight, consisting of riders whose combined
body weight and tack is 211 pounds or more.
8.5.2.2 Middleweight, consisting of riders whose combined
body weight and tack is from 186 to 210 pounds.
8.5.2.3 Lightweight, consisting of riders whose combined
body weight and tack is from 161 to 185 pounds.
8.5.2.4 Featherweight, consisting of riders whose combined
body weight and tack is 160 pounds or below.
8.5.2.5 For a rider to stay within a weight division he/she
must meet the minimum requirement but need not
stay under the maximum parameter.

***As others have pointed out: