Inheritance of gait - was [RC] gaited arabs? - Rosalie Marley

A couple of months ago I decided to see what was known about "inheritance
of gait".  I am trying to breed horses that are patterned like appaloosas
AND are "soft-gaited" (fox-trot, running walk, anything between the
extremes of pace and trot).  "The Appaloosa Project" is a research group
working on isolating the LP gene and its modifiers and has been making good
progress in understanding that part of my equation.  So I figured I would
see what was known about the gait part.

I discovered Dr. Bailey at University of Kentucky who is the head of the
Equine Genome Project.  I asked what was known about inheritance of gait.
He said that it was a really interesting research question, but that no
work had ever been done at the genetic level, to his knowlege.  By this, he
meant that there have been no formal studies with statistically large
enough numbers to be useful.  Through an exchange of emails, we discussed
ways of collecting family data to try to trace inheritance.  I am very new
to "gaitedness", and he patiently explained a couple of the big stumbling
blocks to this kind of research.

One is that there is not a standardised vocabulary for the gaits!  An amble
might be a pace or a singlefoot in some areas.

Another is that some horses can be taught to "gait" under saddle, even if
they might not do that gait at liberty.  He did think that because of this,
there is likely an entire complex of genes working together.  Standardbred
race horses are all started as trotters.  Those who don't trot fast enough
become trained as pacers!

Based on the correspondence with Dr. Bailey, I think any "gait genetics"
that is currently being written about is based on private experience,
theories or models.  They are steps to understanding, perhaps, but they are
not necessarily the whole or real picture.

Rosalie Marley

http://mail.yahoo.com