Re: [RC] Electric fences do ARC! - Truman Prevatt

Laurie Durgin wrote:

"OR how to blister your tongue"

Well , it's true, fences do arc. I 'always' unplug my charger,(a little 29$ one for goats, pigs and horses I get at home depot--not the heavier duty one, thie one is ony for 5 miles of fence)
But sometimes if just redoing a section of cross fence i just undo the nearest handle.
Well I was at the end of the property and on was on the last connection. Ground was mushy from rain. I had on my nylon overpants over my jeans. I had one metal standoff connector to put ont he t- pole lower than the original ,cause the donkey will go under the upper wire to get to the sotred hay. I didn't want to walk the 500 ft. to unplug, so I took the handle off .
I got on my knees, looked at the upper connection which was hot and sid, "ok, it's 18" above my head, be careful" --So I crouched down almost sitting- I take the 4" cotter pin and put it in my mouth( something I usually won't do) cause I take both hands and put them through the field fence around the pole, I have to put this steel standoff with a plastic end that holds the metal fence wire (no wire in it) around the T-pole and slide the cotter pin thru it, bending it so it is snug on the t-pole and the wire then standes off the electrid fence about 5-6 ".
Last thing I remember is as I put the connecter touching the pole is my forehead touching the pole, I couldn't see, I could feel electricity going thru my forehead, I could feel it going thru my mouth and I could even feel my metal fillings ( I had lots of cavities as a child)-- I heard "let go" and shove myself off the fence line as I screamed. I could hardly breathe,a nd couldn't move for a few minutes. Was flat on the ground. I took my pulse (P& R training -thank you ridecamp) .Fast , but steady.I told myself, it's only 110, and you are healthy, your'e ok> Managed after a few minutes to get up and walk in. Even though husband and sons were home, they wouldn't miss me till they got hungry ;0) Got in a bit breathless and hubby who is a First Responder , told sons, she's ok if she could walk in...Thanks dear! no sympathy here. I could feel my tongue burned though and sure enough I had 3 blisters on it on one side--like bad coffee burns...
Moral of the story, yes I guess it really can arc, dont' work on fences ever if on! and especially on wet ground and metal fence and poles. thank goodness for AC, clurse it was plugged into a GFI, but guess I didn't hang on long enough for it to go back to the GRI 500 ft. away!

I ducked under a electric tape on a protable correl one time. Little did I know that the tape lay on my temple as the pulse shot through the line. Put me to my knees - which might explain a lot.

The GFI would have most likely not have mattered in your case. You got a shot of probably 5000 volts of a very short pulse "DC." Don't fear it very low current and it's the current that kills - unless of course you wear a pacemaker. But next time do yourself a favor - in a rain storm don't lick your electric fence. ;-)

Seriously always shut off the electricity prior to messing with anything that carries any electricity.

Truman

--

“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong” Richard Feynman