Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 11:55 AM
Subject: [RC] thanks for all the info

Folks, thanks for the great list I have compiled of Calif. Horse camps with pipe corrals...I have added them all to my list and I think will greatly help with our efforts to put some in....

On another issue, does anyone have any quick link to specific studies done on differences in trail damage from horses versus Mtn. bikes?  I did quick scan of envirohorse, and only found studies that classify horses as low impact users, which is great.  I am only looking into this to be prepared for possible efforts of local bikers to close trails to horses in a park which has always been multi use....it would be helpful to see breakdown of possible damage; horses leave holes, bikes leave ruts, etc.  I seem to recall reading somewhere a study that proved horses basically pack down a trail, while fast bikes leave ruts...and then that is not even dealing with muddy conditions.....I don't want to get too confrontational with this, but strongly belive if the trails are too muddy for horses; they are also too muddy for bikes.

Karen