Re: [RC] gaited arabs? - Linda Courts

Ed,

I trained American Saddle Horses for several years and I can definately say these horses are NOT born with a lateral gait.  They walk, trot and canter just like any ungaited breed.  The slow gait (stepping pace) is taught as is the rack.  I believe almost any horse can be taught a lateral gait, but sometimes it isn't easy.  I've had some saddlebreds that were extremely difficult to teach lateral gaits, but I've never seen one that couldn't be taught.  I've seen individuals from many different breeds that are not naturally gaited, but learn to gait to protect their mouths from rough hands.

Linda Courts
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.