[RC] Sacroiliac - don't forget the sacrum joint. - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: louisa pierce lpierce@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I want to thank you for posting the info on sacroiliac joints.  I thought I
could share a little more insight to this every growing issue.  I am not a Dr
and I am not a very good at getting my words out in type, but I'll do my best.

I had been living with his issue for about 4 years.  Then last April 3rd I
found Dr Hathaway in
Florida(http://www.naturalhorse.com/archive/volume2/issue2/article_3.php) who
actually listened to me and heard what I was tiring to say about my horses
sacroiliac pain and cripple like behavior.  He believed my horses sacrum was
out of alignment and it was pressing on nerves and on the sacroiliacs joint
area and causing all the issues you've described here and more.

I had spend about 3 years on every vet in New England, and every medical tool
we had available. Nothing worked and I never got a diagnosis for any of the
vets.  At least now they are starting
to diagnosis sacroiliac joint pain so this is a huge step in the right
direction.

As for treatment, I think every horse is different and some horses my have
chronic sacroiliac or chronic sacrum issues - but never ever should a horse
with theses issues ever be put on stall rest! Stall rest would be the kiss of
death.  If you ever had back pain you know that when you sit or
lay in bed your back pain is worse and makes it harder to get moving - the same
can be said for stall rest.  Years ago Drs would put people on bed rest for
back pain, but now they know that moving the best medicine - even after my
husband lower back surgery they wanted him up and walking 12hrs after the
surgery

As for my horse, Dr. Hathaway saved him in one quick chiropractic maneuver.  My
horse can now go down hills and no longer puts his left hind under him to hold
up his body from falling over.  He no longer trips on his back legs and is no
longer cripple-like.  As a good end to this story in
October we went to the Maine 25 mile CTR (just 6 months after his treatment) my
former cripple-like horse received a 99.25 for his score!

As for other Chrio's performing sacrum re-alightments, according to Dr.
Hathaway he is the only one who can do this and knows what is totally involved.
I have been searching in Mass, NH and VT for a Chiro who knows how the sacrum
works in a horse and asking very point to  point questions about a horse's
sacrum re-alightment and so far I have no one who can answers the questions or
understands the sacrum like Dr. Hathayway.  Dr. Hathaway lives in Florida and I
live in Mass, my horse could use another treatment (once a year will be good
for him) but the Dr. is very expensive
and  I can't afford to fly him to Mass every year - so I truly have been
looking hard for someone who can help us once a year - and I truly have not
been able to find anyone else as competent or who understands the importance of
this issue.

As for horses with chronic issues, I do not believe there is any hope for a
career, but you could at least make a chronic horse comfortable.  Pls feel free
to email private if you like.
Lpierce@xxxxxxx