[RC] re: speed at multidays - Dreamweaver

The longest mileage days I have ever done were on XP.  I love how people love to pick on multidays and aren't smart enough to realize how many other rides are short.  I rode a lot of rides last year, 45....and also rode the same horse a lot of miles so it gave me a good gauge of the distance of various rides (besides I've done enough full distance rides and with a GPS to have a pretty good feel), and I can say without a doubt that the shortest rides I did last year were not in the multidays.

My horses have grown stronger by doing multidays---they are able to maintain a steady pace all day long, which does get them thru the ride a lot quicker.  Also, one of the lessons I learned last year from riding slowly intentionally is that I can finish faster on a ride with less vet checks, because more time is spent going steady.  When I have ridden in the front, I have clocked the top multiday horses averaging 12 to 14.5 mph for extended periods. In this last year, Chief went from being able to average a 8 to 8.5 mph trot to doing 12 mph.  It took him a couple thousand miles to work up to that, and he's still not as fast as my other horses but he still has a long way to go <G>.

Karen
West Region