[RC] Speed of Multidays - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: kim kimfue@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I probably haven't gone to as many multidays as many on this list but at the
one I have gone to there are always those that are riding for placement.  I
remember the 5 day Renegade ride in 1996 those in the front were definitely
riding for placing. I was one of them for all 5 days.  The other 5 day I did
was at Bryce in 2003.  It looked to me like the front runners were riding for
placing, especially noticiable one day when there was a group of us coming in
the last couple miles and some would make top 10 and some would not.  It wasn't
my imagination that this group was riding for placing.  At one of the Three day
rides I attended a couple years ago about 7 or 8 front runners had gotten lost
and were galloping and cantering by those of us in the teens and 20s to make up
time...or maybe they were doing it just to have fun who knows:)
  Multidays do have a more low key atmosphere then a lot of one day 50s.  They
probably attract a different sort of rider, maybe one that is more experienced
or someone who rides a more experienced horse who knows.  Perhaps some
multidays are short but I would find it hard to believe that they are all short
and this is the only reason for the faster times.  The fact remains that there
are riders that go to multidays to place, many of these horses are able to be
in the Top 10 all 3 or 5 days so obviously their horses are able to do it and
there are fewer treatment and metabolic crashes at multidays compared to single
day rides.  If the speed does not seem to be a factor in why multiday horses
seem to do better perhaps we should look at some of the other factors like
horse and rider experience.