From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Susan E. Garlinghouse, D.V.M.
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 7:31 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: AERCMembersForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] riding after back surgery

A good friend of mine who rides dressage was in a pretty bad accident a few years ago and to make a long story short, had to have three vertebrae surgically fused last week.  I?m not sure of the exact vertebrae involved, but it was in the region of the lumbosacral junction.  Obviously, she?s pretty depressed because she thinks her riding career is over.  There is a new appliance available that stabilizes and still provides some pretty amazing flexibility, but apparently it was not an option in her case.

Does anyone have experience with this sort of procedure and whether she has any chance of riding again at anything beyond a rent pony plod?  She was riding at 4th level dressage and while I suspect that might be a stretch, maybe lower levels are still possible?

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM, MS