Re: [RC] trailer hitches - Karen Sullivan

Hi Jenn,

Are you sure what you have now is a BUMPER hitch, or standard frame mount
hitch? ...because you should
not be pulling ANY kind of horse trailer with a bumper hitch (ball on a
truck bumper)  ; I am therefore going to assume you have a frame mount
hitch, and now need an extension because of the camper.

When I had my camper and BP trailer, I had a standard Drawtite frame mount
hitch.  When I got the camper and extension, our wonderful RV dealer added
the extension although the Drawtite warranty specifically said to NOT use
with any kind of extension (found this out later)....as the extension BENT.
When I went looking into this, the only hitch I found that was even rated
for a extension was the Reese Titan..to which you could add a 24 to 36"
extension.....and on top of that, I still added the weight disribution
hitch.....if that all makes sense.

If you go for the Reese Titan, with the extension you will be rated to be
safe towing up to 10,000 lbs.  I was pushing that limit, although you
probably won't.

Where are you?  I no longer have my BP trailer.....could give you great deal
on teh Reese Titan extension and weight distributing hitch!  Went to
Gooseneck, don't need it anymore

Karen

Please Reply to: Jenn Turin jent@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have a 1985 1 ton Dodge Ram with an 8' bed, and have just bought a 9'
camper to put on it.  I had an 8' camper on it and towed a 2-horse slant
load with horses, hay and gear last season with no problem.  (It's a great
old truck!)

My quandry is that I will have to get a hitch extension to be able to pull
the trailer with the 9' camper on, and I am not comfortable with adding an
extension to my regular bumper hitch. I've been told that I need a "Super
Hitch" to be safe - but at $800 uninstalled I'm looking for something less
expensive (if a had a lot of money I'd have a new truck!)  An RV place has
offered to sell me a "PullRite" hitch for $225,(they run about $800 new)and
said I would also need a weight distributing hitch for about $300.

I would love to hear what other people have done in similar situations, and
from anyone who has used a "PullRite" hitch.

Thanks!