[RC] sacroiliac joint - Libby & Quentin Llop DVM

Cindy et al:

       I have perhaps just read the same article, in Horse Journal?  The
article
that I saw, was clearly deficient in describing not a single form of
alternative/complementary medical treatment.

 You raise an interesting but not simple question when you ask for
research.  There is a population of veterinarians that get themselves
published by bashing various modalities of complimentary medicine,
Acupuncture, Chiropractic, Osteopathy, Muscle release etc. as lacking in
research.  Since I employ all four of those mentioned, I am perplexed by
those of closed minds who do not get it.  The fact is many if not most of
treatments employed in Veterinary Medicine are not strictly
"research-based".  If I employ Osteopathy to free the motion of a sacroiliac
joint, it is quite obvious to me that motion was not present before, and was
after: just the same, if I spay a cat, a dramatic, perceivable change has
happened to the cat.  Acupuncture has been definitively shown to decrease
inflammation; I doubt very much that a research study has been done to
establish a specific pattern of points to decrease sacroiliac pain, and as
explained below, would perhaps not be all that useful.  I also doubt very
much that a research study has been done to establish specific
anti-inflammatory drugs to decrease sacroiliac pain.  The basic character of
most alternative treatments is that they seek to promote and work with the
body's own self healing tendencies.  (The power of self healing is clearly
demonstrated in what is called the 'placebo effect'.)  As such,
complementary medicine treatments are very much individualized.  One
research study that I saw presented a number of years ago, used a selection
of back Acupuncture points to achieve demonstrable racing improvements in TB
horses with back pain.  A veterinary Acupuncturist would be very unlikely to
use precisely the points in the study but would rather individualize the
treatment; thus his (her) manner of using Acupuncture would not technically
be "research-based".

       In short, many forms of alternative treatment are effective for
pelvic/sacroiliac problems.  The weakness of standard medical treatments is
demonstrated by the reliance on anti-inflammatory drugs.  My personal
knowledge of the subtleties of the biomechanics of pelvic and sacral motion
was obtained entirely from Chiropractic and Osteopathic training, not
veterinary school.  An appreciation of the importance of proper sacroiliac
functioning is just beginning in mainstream medicine.

       A great book for the general reader is Doris Halstead's book, "Release
the
Potential".  It has a lot of information on the horse's pelvis, how to
evaluate it and how to treat it with muscle release therapy.  There is also
a section on rider self evaluation and release.  (Note that the drawings in
the book are schematic.)

Happy Trails!

Quentin