[RC] AERC Awards System - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: kim kimfue@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I think one of the nice things about the AERC year end awards system is that it
can award both speed and longevity.  The horse that is able to go fast and do
so over an entire ride season will always come out on top before the a fast
horse with only a couple rides (one race wonders) or a very slow horse with
lots of miles.  A horse like Rio or Muffin will always come out on top in this
system.  There is nothing wrong with rewarding speed or placing when a horse is
able to come back to race again and again.  It shows the rider is using good
judgement, and good racing strategy. This system allows an exceptional horse to
be showcased.  It also allow a saavy rider to take a good horse to it greatest
potential without running it into the ground. One of the problems with the UAE
style of racing is that we really don't know if these race times are
repeatable, meaning if the horses can come back again and again to repeat the
performance.  This is hard to judge when a horse may only be entered in one or
two races a year.  Perhaps they do come back to race again but we really don't
hear much about this.  Are there any ways to check the stats on say the first
10 finishers of the 2000 and 2002 WEC and check to see what those horses have
done since their stellar performances at those competitions?  If the majority
are able to come back and even race one race a year I would feel much better
that they are being "managed" properly for the job they are given.  If they are
not coming back to race successfuly again then I would say they are not being
managed properly for the sports venue they are competing in and are being used
up for one big race.  If they disappear after these performances maybe we need
to reconsider whether these events are too stressful for the majority of horses.

Kim