Re: [RC] taking an older horse to a 25 - Karen Sullivan

Suzanne,

Back in the early 80's, I had an appy X mare I did a lot of trail riding
with.  I loved to go many miles
exploring and would trot and canter whereever the terrain was good.  So, the
mare was ridden regularly and
very fit.  She was boarded in a big pasture and thrown hay, along with the
other horses.  I knew nothing about distance riding or supplements or
electrolytes.....and I never had any problems (mare never tied up, or
colicked  or anything.) The mare had been sold to be from a horse dealer,
was at the time was supposed to be about 12 or 13.

A friend challenged me to ride the horse portion of the Almaden Triathalon,
which was 25 miles. I had about 2 months prep; and got other friends to do
the run and bike part.  All I did was step up the distances on the mare, and
speed a slight bit...and had her on a definite schedule of 3 rides a week.
At one point (Maryben can find this amusing)....I had the friend who
challenged me;  to haul me down to Rancho San Antonio Preserve.  I then rode
back over the top and back side of Black Mountain, and down Alpine Road,
ending up back in Portola Valley (maybe 20 miles).

The day of the race I had another guy haul me down, who spoke of giving bran
mash and extra salt (a totally new concept for me), but did bring some for
my mare.  I did the ride in shorts, and a fleece cover over an ancient
Barnsby saddle. The first loop I was hauling back on the mechanical
hackamore for all I was worth....and we did it too fast, that mare was
having a blast and wanted to RUN.  . Took 20 min to pulse down at the half
way mark.  However the vet said my mare recovered o.k.  and to continue.  I
was able to slow her down some, and finished the second loop.......at the
end of the ride they asked me if I wanted a courtesy check.  I said
sure......vet looked at her teeth, and told me my 13 year old mare was
probably late 20';s.......I felt horrible, and totally ignorant.  However, I
do want to say, I do feel I went into that ride with the mare very
fit....and she sure had the time of her life!!! She did get semi-retired
after that!

Maybe I was lucky, or maybe I did okay becuase the mare was sound and
fit....but, if this is something your horse enjoys doing, is fit for
distance and terrain, and gets enough electrolytes, I don't see any reason
why a 20 year old horse can do 25 miles!
Karen