[RC] [RC] Barefoot/Shoeing - Cynthia Eyler - DreamWeaver

#1 We frequently do conditioning rides in muddy conditions here in Maryland, and I'm afraid of him slipping in EZ boots. And, of course, almost any ride I might go to could be muddy after a lot of rain. Am I worrying unnecessarily?

#2 Several years ago I installed EasyCare pads into boots so that the boots would not prematurely wear out at the rim. But, with the backs of the boots cut down to the ground (a la Karen Chaton's photos) the pads would start to curl and work their way out of the back of the shoe. At that time I was not doing a lot of mileage, but I'd be afraid of what the results might be now on a 50 mile ride. Is there something I was doing wrong that caused the pads to work their way out the back of the boots? Or would I just have to do without the pads and accept frequent replacement of his EZ boots?

Hi Cindy -- regarding #1, all you can do is go ride in the boots in the mud and see how your horse does. My own horses have adapted rather well to traveling in mud with easyboots. Some types of mud can be really slick, especially on hillsides so be careful. I have found that horses generally need to learn how to go thru mud, regardless of what kind of hoofware they have, or don't have. My horses usually will slip less with easyboots on in mud than horses with shod feet, but that I attribute to my riding them enough in the mud that they have learned how to manage. #2 -- simple, just put several layers of duct tape in the toe of the boot, or a couple of layers over your horses toe. Duct tape and easyboots get along well together! <G> Good luck!

Karen