Re: [RC] making SS front into cutback? - Karen Sullivan

Just DID that!!!!

Yes, it was one of the non-peaked front sport saddles and it was sitting right on top of my mare's withers.....however, it seemed wide enough at the base of the pommel, so it seemed just cutting back the top would make it perfect....

I had a saddle-maker friend who actually made the cut....she cut it back to just mid-way under the pommel; but then could not figure any way to bind the edge; fasten them back or re-stitch it closed.  So, you could see the layers of neoprene, foam, fleece and top leather, etc.

The actual slit was a good idea and did not affect stability of the saddle, however, once it was not "held up" on the withers, it did drop a bit more in the front and was tighter under the front.  This was a very, very wide horse.

In any case, I wanted more of a "wider" cutback, that was over 2" of material removed from front of saddle narrowing
back under the pommel to the slit. I found an old-time saddle maker guy who was able to widen the slit....but FIRST, and most important, he sewed it first with an awl, by hand....so to a nice, tight line of stitching so nothing could shift or pull....THEN went back and cut out the notch area inside, if that makes sense.....

Yes, the "inside" areas were still exposed somewhat, he had no idea how to bind them either....I just eneded up really sealing all that with Mink oil, and the fleece top saddle cover hit the slit.

Sorry can';t take photos, sold the saddle.  I do not feel it compromised the integrity of the saddle.....it went to a friend and seems to fit her mare very well....

Now that I explained all that....I can rant a little bit that this would be extremely easy to do in production, as well as some sort of cut back behind cantle, which would keep saddle from rubbing spine.

Another friend had to give up on her beloved sport saddles in that they rubbed the loin and spine on two of her horses, again, very prominent spine horses; her two prior horses had not had that problem.  Because the saddle is essentially stablized by the pommel and cantle; one almost wonders if the whole thing could be slit up the middle, similiar to a McClellan., or at least the underside have some sort of raised panel on each side, giving it a gullet.....

Some conclusions I am drawing are that just becuase a saddle is more flexible or treeless, does not necessarly mean it can or should bear down on the spine.....

Back to your "slit" idea.....I would call the company and talk to the production manager; explain the problem and see what they have to say!
Karen