Re: [RC] Saddle horse - heidi

 Genetics is an amazing science.  I am constantly surprised by the
Standardbred's calm, willing intelligence.  Here is another horse bred
for nothing but speed (at the trot, yes, but speed nonetheless).  The
breeding for a "standard" speed or better has been supremely successful
- this is the WORLD'S premier trotter.  And yet I have never met or
owned one who was not calm, willing, gentle, and intelligent - almost
the opposite of what TB's have made us think of when we hear "race
horse."  I know there was a long thread here recently regarding
StdBreds, so I won't belabor the point.  Just an observation that
throws a weird kink into the whole "bred for one purpose" arguement!
Breeding these horses for a fast trot has somehow made them INCREDIBLE
trail mounts.

They have a few advantages over the TBs in the sense that they have to
undergo a lot more "stuff" at the race track (read selection for
disposition here) than runners do, and they also run multiple heats in a
single day, so they have tended to more consistently retain the ability to
go all day.

That said, the STDBD still has issues as a saddle horse--many individuals
have issues with back flexibility, and they do have a tendency to be
one-gaited, which can be an issue on some types of trails.  So the
specialization rears its head in this breed as well--even though they do
often make good saddle horses.  And because of the specialization, you do
still need to pick your individuals.  (That said, IMO the STDBD still
likely has more suitable individuals for hard riding than many breeds do.)

Heidi