Re: [RC] Blown ACL - Jon . Linderman

I am not sure whether you stated you injured your ACL, injury meaning a
tear, or whether you ruptured the ligament, what many of you are referring
to blowing your ACL.  There is a HUGE difference.  Besides manual
manipulation fo the knee an MRI is very helpful.  Injuries to ligaments and
tendons have varying degrees of severity.  Ligaments heal very poorly &
more sevre strains or ruptures will necessitate replacement.  My wife has
had 3 complete ACL reconstructions, non related to equestrian activities.
She has had no trouble riding following any of these surgeries.  The ACL is
designed to prevent movement of the knee between the femur and tibia in a
plane parallel to the ground.  If you have no pain or sticking while riding
you should be fine IMHO.  Reconstructions/repalcements for the ACL are
become better and better with decreasing time away from activity follwoing
surgery.......but if the injury is not severe enuf to warrant surgery, then
don't.  I had a minor ACL injury in college that was not deemed serious
enough for surgery, 20 years later I often forget I ever injured it.
Injured does not mean blown & injury does not mean you necessarily have to
have surgery.

Jon K. Linderman, Ph.D., FACSM
Professor of Health and Sport Science
University of Dayton

                     Peggy B-Smith

                     <bvsrider@xxxxxxxxxxx        To:
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                     et>                          cc:

                     Sent by:                     Subject:  [RC]   Blown ACL

                     ridecamp-owner@xxxxxx

                     durance.net

                     02/10/2005 12:06 PM

                     Please respond to

                     bvsrider

I not only tore my ACL, I severed it during a soccer tournament when I was
29. I am now 56 and have absolutely no problems with it after having
surgery done a few months after the injury.
Before the surgery they tried PT to strengthen my muscles with the
intention of stabilizing the knee even though I was in the best shape of my
life and had extremely strong muscles.
After the surgery, I was in a cast for 3 months, then PT for another 3
months.
I ride 50's and never have any pain in my knee - other places, but not in
my knee!
The surgery done then was pretty invasive with a long recovery time. I'm
sure t is much different now and can probably be done arthroscopically.
I can't imagine not having it repaired. I could barely get out of a car
without my knee going "side ways" before the surgery was done.

Peggy Bergman-Smith
Bear Valley Springs, CA