[RC] ponying the pullers and poopers - Judie Ricci

I pony a LOT,  with a long rope.   with 4 to keep in shape it is the only way I can do it.  I have had a few horses that come to mind that were just awful to tow along,   so I thought I would share what I found works.   If you have a round pen or an arena , or any contained area,  I will put the western saddle on and start  leading the problem child around the round pen   in a  rope halter and dependable 12' lead,  when the pony horse stops ,  I take one wrap around the horn turn my mount ( usually my big Mule Opheria) sideways and side step to get a tight pull and wait, ( if you don't turn sideways to do this you are not as affective)   the pony horse , depending on how stubborn they are , will usually lay on the rope for a minute or two , try to shake its head and pull a little more then either LEAP forward or maybe just  take a step forward ,  as soon as they release the pressure I have my mount step to them , pet b oth, turn and go again,  I had one young horse I was training for Pete that made me do this about 10 times before he got the idea,  then on the trail he stopped and we just turned and side stepped and before he had much tension at all he came right up.  It is easier on your body to teach them not to stop while you are ponying in an arena, or what ever you have .  It does not take long for a horse or mule to realize you CAN make them come forward.  It is important of course to make your mount behave , all of our horses must learn to be ponied and to pony. The dominant ones must let you be the boss, I will however let the horse or mule I'm on swing its head with ears pinned when the horse being ponied tries to come past my knee. Otherwise neither is allowed to pick on the other.  Regular lead ropes usually aren't long enough for training,  they don't give you enough room , so I use at least a 12' , and don't  ever dally the pony rope once you get on the trail, always be able to change hands in case the pony horse spooks and runs up the opposite side of you,  this takes some time if you are new at it, so it is better to practice at home so when you go out you can have still have fun.  The horses get used to it and start to enjoy going,  then you will have to learn to make them stop racing each other!!  Have fun , be safe.     Judie

Judie Ricci
Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.